The following tips were helpful in writing my query:
- No longer than 1 page, 12 pt. font, double-spaced (most agents/editors want this length).
- Keep the overview/hook under 200 words.
- Don’t include the ending.
- Do include the fun, the feel, the tone, and the unique voice.
- State specific reasons why you are sending to this particular agent or editor (e.g. I met you at a conference/convention, I read that you like x on your blog or twitter, and/or I saw your posting in writer’s market. Show that you researched that agent/editor’s style and the books (and genres) they’ve represented).
- Don’t include irrelevant credentials